I want to ...

Looking for information on how to apply for benefits assistance, find various services, or maybe contact your county human services department? We hope this "I want to" page will help you find what you're looking for. If what you want isn't here, call us at 303.866.5700.

I want to header image


Apply for cash assistance (TANF)

Visit the Colorado Works page on our website and download an application, which you will submit to your county human services office. 

Apply for employment assistance

We offer several types of employment assistance. Learn about each by clicking the links:

Employment First promotes self-sufficiency and independence by preparing Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients for employment through job seeking skills training, work experience and monthly job search support activities.

CW STEP helps connect at-risk populations who are eligible for basic cash assistance from Colorado Works (the state's federally funded program providing temporary cash assistance for needy families) with crucial professional work experience and opportunity.

Refugee Services seek to ensure the effective resettlement of officially designated refugees and to promote refugee self-sufficiency.

ReHire Colorado is a transitional employment program that combines wage-paying work, job skills training and supportive services to help individuals successfully re-enter the workforce and Colorado businesses connect with high-quality talent.

Senior Community Services Employment Program provides participants a minimum wage while teaching new skills and improving opportunities to become employed.

Apply for energy assistance (LEAP)

Apply on the Colorado PEAK website. Learn more about LEAP here.

Apply for food assistance (SNAP)

Apply on the Colorado PEAK website. Learn more about SNAP here.

Learn about the P-EBT program

Visit the P-EBT page.


Access child support services

Visit the Division of Child Support Services website.

Find domestic violence services

Visit the Domestic Violence Program page of our website to find a community-based domestic violence program Near You, as well as to find resources for survivors of domestic violence and for people who choose to use abusive behavior.

Find services for brain injury

Visit the Mindsource Brain Injury Network website.

Find services for deaf, hard of hearing and deaf-blind individuals

Visit the Colorado Commission for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Deaf Blind website.

Find services for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities

Visit the web page of CDHS's Division for Regional Center Operations, which oversees three facilities in Grand Junction, Pueblo and Wheat Ridge.

Find services for older adults

Visit the web page of the State Unit on Aging.

Find services for refugees

Visit the Refugee Services page of our website.

Find behavioral health services

Visit the Behavioral Health Administration website for a list of resources which can help with a mental health or substance use issue.

Get help with a mental health or substance use crisis

Colorado Crisis Services offers free, confidential help with a mental health, substance use or emotional concerns. You can connect with Colorado Crisis Services three different ways:

Walk in

Our walk-in centers offer confidential, in-person crisis support, information and referrals to anyone in need. Search by location here.


Dial 1.844.493.8255. When you call Colorado Crisis Services, you will be connected to a trained crisis counselor.


Text "TALK" to 38255. You'll immediately be put in contact with a trained counselor, ready to text with you about anything.

Complaints, reporting and appeals

Appeal a county decision about an act of child abuse or neglect or mistreatment of an at-risk adult

The Child and Adult Mistreatment Dispute Review Section (CAMDRS) is the state-level working group involved in reviewing county decisions that an individual is responsible for an act of child abuse or neglect when the individual (Appellant) requests a state appeal. CAMDRS is involved only in child abuse or neglect appeals.

Under Colorado law, individuals receiving letters from County Departments of Human/Social Services notifying them that they have been identified as responsible for an incident of child abuse or neglect, are entitled to contest (appeal) the accuracy of the county decision to an impartial decision maker. This county letter includes a form with "Information about Confirmed Reports of Child Abuse or Neglect" containing important information about the confirmation and the appeal rights. Visit the Child and Adult Mistreatment Dispute Review Section page to learn more.

File a general complaint

If you have a complaint in one of the following areas, we will do our best to assist you:

  • Adult Protective Services
  • Behavioral Health
  • Children, Youth and Families
  • Child Support
  • Child Welfare
  • Colorado Child Care Assistance Benefits (CCCAP)
  • Domestic Violence
  • Foster Care
  • Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
  • Old Age Pension
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Veteran Community Living Centers

If your complaint is in one of the areas listed above, please contact the client services and controlled correspondence manager using our online form.

Appeal a SNAP decision

For information on how to appeal a SNAP decision, visit the SNAP Hearings Unit page.

Report abuse of a person with intellectual or developmental disabilities

To make a report of suspected mistreatment or self-neglect of an at-risk adult, call the Adult Protective Services intake number for the county department of human services where the at-risk adult lives.

Report abuse of an older adult

To make a report of suspected mistreatment or self-neglect of an at-risk adult, call the Adult Protective Services intake number for the county department of human services where the at-risk adult lives.

Report benefits fraud

CDHS is committed to discovering and addressing fraud, waste and abuse. CDHS's jurisdiction encompasses inappropriate activity by internal employees, contractors and grant recipients, which may include counties as well as private businesses and non-profit entities.

Private citizens are encouraged to report financial and time fraud as well as waste or misuse of resources.

If fraud is suspected at the county level, such as in the delivery or misuse of funds for SNAP (food stamps) or TANF (welfare benefits),make a report to the local county fraud investigator.

For all other fraud concerns, contact the CDHS Fraud Hotline at 877.934.6361.

Be ready with the following information:

  • The name of the individual or organization
  • The address of the individual or organization
  • The individuals living in the household
  • The date of the alleged misconduct
  • A detailed description explaining why you suspect fraud or abuse
  • Your contact information

The fraud referral will either be investigated by the CDHS Audit Division or referred to the appropriate contact for further investigation.

Report child abuse or neglect

Call 1.844.CO.4.KIDS (1.844.264.5437)


Children and families

Adopt a child

To learn more about adoption in Colorado, visit the adoption section of our child welfare website.

Become a foster parent

To learn more about the foster care system in Colorado, visit the foster care section of our child welfare website.

Get help raising a child in my family or another child I am close with

To learn more about kinship in Colorado, visit the Kinship Connection page on our website.

Make a child support payment

Visit the Division of Child Support Services website.

Apply for a criminal and/or child abuse and neglect records check

Visit the Background Checks section of the Office of Early Childhood website.

General information

Contact the Colorado Department of Human Services

Colorado Department of Human Services

1575 Sherman St., Denver, CO 80203-1714

Phone: 303.866.5700 | Fax: 303.866.5563

E-mail: cdhs_communications@state.co.us

Contact my county human services department

Colorado has a state-supervised and county-administered human services system. County departments are the main provider of direct services. This interactive map provides contact information for each of the state's counties.

Contact the communications office

Media members may direct inquiries to:

Madlynn Ruble, Deputy Communications Director
Phone: 303.866.3411

Submit a Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) request

We encourage you to send Colorado Open Records Act requests by email. The CORA email address is cdhs_cora@state.co.us.

If you prefer to send your request by mail, send it to:

Colorado Department of Human Services
Attn: CORA manager, 8th floor
1575 Sherman St.
Denver, CO 80203-1714


Download forms

The forms page of our website contains many of the most commonly used and requested forms for services and programs provided through CDHS.

Find job openings at CDHS

Job vacancies are announced on the State of Colorado Job Opportunities website. Applications are accepted only during the time period listed on the announcement. Review the job announcements and identify those that you may be qualified for and interested in. To apply for a specific job, follow the instructions in the announcement section titled "How to Apply." When applying for a state job, carefully follow the instructions. Submitting an application to the wrong location or not providing all the required materials may result in not being considered for the job.

Learn about HIPAA and patient rights

Visit the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act page on our website.

File a CAPS Check request

Instructions for registering with the CAPS Check system and filing a CAPS Check request are available on the CAPS Check Unit website.

Learn about the youth services system

Visit the Division of Youth Services page on our website.

Find caregiver resources

If you are a caregiver seeking assistance, counseling, training, respite care or supplemental services, contact your local Area Agency on Aging or call 303.866.2800 or 1.888.866.4243.

Apply for Medicaid

In Colorado, Medicaid is administered by the Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing. Visit HCPF's Medicaid page here.

Volunteer with older adults

Visit the volunteer page on our website.