Colorado Works is Colorado's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. Through the program, participants receive help becoming self-sufficient by strengthening their family's economic and social stability. Colorado Works operates in all 64 counties and is delivered locally through each county's department of human or social services.
Goals of Colorado Works
- Guarantee that county departments and program partners have the what they need to successfully implement financial assistance programs that are both accurate and timely
- Provide job opportunities for low-income Coloradans
- Support low-income Coloradans in both preparation for and retention of job opportunities
- Identify and promote strategies to increase household income and economic stability
- Serve as a financial safety net for older adults, people with disabilities, children and parents who are participating in work-related activities
- Promote family and individual safety and stability, healthy relationships and well-being
For more information about Colorado Works, view this information sheet.
EBT card information
Once approved, clients can access cash assistance by using their EBT card or by selecting Direct Deposit. Please click here for more information on how you can access cash assistance. You can also find your local county office information here.
How to apply
To apply for Colorado Works, go to the PEAK Colorado website or fill out the application of your choice below and return it by mail, fax or in person to your local county human services office. Find contact information for county offices here.
Colorado Works Leavers Survey
The Colorado Works Leavers Survey helps CDHS assess the effectiveness of the Colorado Works program and make improvements. The survey is sent to a sample of Colorado Works participants who have recently left the program. Learn more here.
Colorado Works-related policies
- Colorado State Plan
View Colorado's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) State Plan from prior years:
- Colorado State Plan: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), 2018
- Colorado State Plan: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), 2015
- Colorado State Plan: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), 2012
- Colorado State Plan: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), 2009
For more information about Colorado's State Plan, please contact:
Colorado Department of Human Services
Employment and Benefits Division
1575 Sherman St., 3rd Floor
- Work Verification Plan
View the Work Verification Plan from prior years: