The Colorado Department of Human Services connects people with assistance, resources and support for living independently in our state. We're the people who help people. Colorado has a state-supervised and county-administered human services system. Under this system, county departments are the main provider of direct services to Colorado’s families, children and adults.
Together, we empower Coloradans to thrive.
To serve Coloradans through bold and innovative health and human services.
We believe in a people-first approach: To serve the people of Colorado, we develop a culture and work environment that creates an energized, inspired, and healthy team capable of giving their best to Coloradans.
Balance creates quality of life: We want our team to be resilient through a supportive workplace that values flexibility, health and wellness, and employee engagement.
We hold ourselves accountable: We take responsibility through our actions, programs, and results for the state of health and human services in Colorado.
Transparency matters: We are open and honest with employees, our partners, the Coloradans we serve, and the public.
We are ethical: We abide by what is best for those we serve by doing what is right, not what is easy.
Collaboration helps us rise together: We work together with all partners, employees, and clients to achieve the best outcomes for Coloradans.
Our guiding principles
In the CDHS 2020-23 Strategic Plan, we laid out the following guiding principles:
- We design and deliver high-quality human services that improve the safety, independence and wellbeing of Coloradans.
- We believe in supporting the whole person, the whole family and the whole community. Our services will be individual- and family-focused, family-driven and community-based.
- As an organization, we do what's right even when it's hard. When we're wrong, we acknowledge the error and learn from it. We foster an environment that allows risk and gives permission to fail.
- We believe in fostering equity so all Coloradans have the opportunity to reach their full potential. We ensure individual human rights and work to eliminate discrimination and stigma.
- Our actions and words will always reflect our beliefs and values.
- We will create and maintain a culture that attracts top talent, improves retention and inspires great work. We believe in a joyous work environment that maintains a culture of learning and excellence.
CDHS is made up of four public-facing offices and several internal-facing support offices. Our external-facing offices:
Office of Adult, Aging and Disability Services
Office of Behavioral Health
Office of Children, Youth and Families
Office of Economic Security
As part of its work, CDHS includes a number of initiatives that affect everything we do across our offices, divisions and programs. Here are just a few of our featured initiatives:
Family Voice Council
Performance management and C-Stat
Equity Action Plan
Performance and outcomes
The work done by CDHS and its county partners undergoes review by a number of entities. Below are the ways we ensure we are doing the best work possible to help Coloradans thrive.
Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement
CDHS Performance Plan
CDHS's communications team publishes several dozen press releases per year, as well as a number of other publications and reports, and handles media inquiries and Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) requests. We are also active on the following social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Forms, policies and data
Looking for forms, policies and data related to our work? Most of that information can be found on the relevant pages of our individual offices, divisions and programs. For help navigating to those pages, see the links on the following pages:
Careers with CDHS
CDHS offers job opportunities in several fields, including child welfare, developmental disabilities, mental health, nursing, social assistance programs, and youth services. CDHS also recruits for support positions that include accounting, budgeting, contract management, custodial, food service, and human resources.