The Division of Youth Services (DYS) is looking for people with a passion for improving the lives of youth. We are currently hiring Youth Services positions. As a Youth Services specialist, counselor or teacher you model the balance between safety and meaningful relationships. You foster desire, afford opportunity, and provide youth the tools needed for change. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and abilities to apply. Come join our team of dedicated employees that make a difference in the lives of youth. For more information about jobs at DYS, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested in discovering open positions?
Be the first to know about open and newly posted positions. Individuals who are interested in specific fields or roles can subscribe to email alerts for when positions with that title are posted. Follow the steps below to sign up.
- Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/Colorado
- Select the ‘Menu’ on the upper lefthand corner
- Select ‘Job Categories/Job Interest Cards’
- Put a check next to each category you would like to receive email notifications for.
- Click the ‘subscribe’ button, fill out your name and email address when prompted, and click ‘submit.
Interested in receiving text messages for CDHS job postings? Sign up here.
DYS offers a full package of benefits for permanent employees of the state of Colorado:
- Health and life insurance coverage for employees and optional coverage for dependents. We offer employees several medical insurance choices. We provide life insurance and disability insurance. We also offer employees flexible spending accounts.
- Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA)
- 401K/457K (Administered through PERA)
- Paid Time Off Benefits to include: holidays, accrued annual leave and sick leave
- Professional development
- CO State Employee Assistance Program - A professional assessment, referral, and short-term counseling service offered to State employees with work-related or personal concerns.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program - Under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, a borrower may qualify for forgiveness while employed full-time in a public service occupation and meet other certain criteria.
- Employee Wellness Program - Employees can earn up to $20 off their health insurance premium every month by participating in fun health challenges online.
- Interested in receiving text messages for CDHS job postings? Sign Up Here!
- How do I apply for a job with DYS?
Job vacancies are announced on the State of Colorado Job Opportunities website. Applications are accepted only during the time period listed on the announcement. Review the job announcements and identify those that you may be qualified for and interested in. To apply for a specific job, follow the instructions in the announcement section titled "How to Apply." When applying for a state job, carefully follow the instructions. Submitting an application to the wrong location or not providing all the required materials may result in not being considered for the job.
- What happens after I apply for a job?
Application review: All applications submitted in response to the job announcement are reviewed to identify the applicants who meet the minimum requirements for the job. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements are notified via email. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will continue on in the assessment process.
Assessment process: The state personnel system as defined by the Colorado Constitution requires all jobs within the classified system to be filled through a competitive process, called comparative analysis, which could include tests for merit and fitness. The number and types of assessments will depend on the position being filled as well as the number of qualified applicants. The top six candidates will be identified via the assessment process and then referred to the supervisor of the vacant position for interview who will make the final hiring decision and job offer. Depending on the type of work performed on the job, a job offer may be contingent on the results of a drug test, criminal background checks to include fingerprints, and/or physical examination.
The comparative analysis utilizes professionally accepted standards that compare specific job-related knowledge, skills, abilities, behaviors, and other competencies. The process can include multiple components including structured interviews, application/resume review, oral panel examinations, written objective tests, performance tests, training and/or experience evaluations, or physical capacity tests.
- Background Checks
Prior to the Department’s employment of any person in a position that would require that person to have direct contact with any vulnerable person, the Department shall make an inquiry through the Director of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to ascertain whether such a person has a criminal history. A person shall be disqualified from consideration for any of the following criminal offenses: a crime of violence, a felony offense involving unlawful sexual behavior, a felony of domestic violence, a felony offense of child abuse. For our complete Background Investigations Policy, please click here.
"Why I work for CDHS" campaign
The "Why I work for CDHS" video campaign was launched in November 2020. These videos give staff a chance to share their reasons for working for the Division of Youth Services and a small view into the day to day lives of employees. Check out the first shared video, featuring Azeb Giday.
Azeb Giday is a youth services specialist at the Platte Valley Youth Services Center in Greeley. Her job is to help youth who made a serious mistake in their life to understand that it was just a moment in time and they still have their whole lives ahead of them. Her job can be difficult, but it's also very rewarding. If you're looking for a rewarding career like Azeb's, check out the openings at youth services centers around Colorado through the link at the top of the page.