Colorado Department of Human Services open for business

Hide Featured Image
CDHS Open for Business door sign

DENVER (March 13, 2020) — The Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS) would like to remind the public that services are available if and as needed. As Gov. Jared Polis reminded everyone today, Coloradans should exercise personal responsibility to protect public health, especially populations at higher risk of getting sick from COVID-19. As the novel coronavirus continues to affect Colorado, our fellow citizens still need human services, and there are easy, online ways to apply and get benefits for you and your family. Below is a list of services and benefits that CDHS is continuing to provide, with links and information on how to find them.

We also want to remind the public that, while there are schedule disruptions and changes with school and daily life, the safety and wellbeing of those we serve is of the utmost importance. Please report child abuse or neglect by calling 1.844.CO.4.KIDS (1.844.264.5437). Call 911 immediately if you witness a child in a life-threatening situation. More than half of the child abuse and neglect phone calls we receive come from mandatory reporters, including teachers and school staff. While schools are closed in order to slow the spread of COVID-19, it is even more important that everyone report their concerns about the safety and well-being of a child or teen.

Calling the Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline is the best way to let child welfare professionals know that you have a concern so they can assess a child’s safety and well-being. 

When you hear, read or watch news about an outbreak of an infectious disease such as COVID-19, it’s normal to feel anxious and stressed. Taking care of yourself during times of stress and uncertainty is extremely important. We want you to know there are support systems and resources available to help you maintain your own wellness during an infectious disease outbreak. Colorado Crisis Services is available 24/7/365 if you need to talk. Call 1-844-493-8255.

The resources below are available to you; please follow the links for more information.


Apply for cash assistance (TANF)

Apply for child care assistance

Apply for employment assistance

Apply for energy assistance (LEAP)

Apply for food assistance (SNAP)

Apply for disability assistance (DDS)


Access child support services

Find domestic violence services

Find services for brain injury

Find services for deaf, hard of hearing and deaf-blind individuals

Find services for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities

Find services for older adults

For older adult services such as caregiver support, nutrition services, transportation, in-home services, care coordination and outreach, contact your local Area Agency on Aging.

Find services for refugees

Find behavioral health services

The Office of Behavioral Health (OBH) aims to limit disruption of services while protecting patients and staff from infection risk. Read the guidance that OBH sent to mental health and substance use providers.

Get help with a mental health or substance use crisis

Colorado Crisis Services remains open 24/7. If you don’t know where to begin getting mental health, substance use or emotional help for yourself or someone you know, text TALK to 38255 or call this toll-free number 1-844-493-TALK (8255) to speak to a trained professional.

The Office of Behavioral Health has recommended that crisis providers throughout the state adopt this protocol before dispatching mobile response.

Children and families

Adopt a child

Become a foster parent

Find a quality child care program

Get help raising a child in my family or another child I am close with

Make a child-support payment

View Colorado's early learning and development guidelines

Apply for a child care license

Apply for a criminal and/or child abuse and neglect records check

General information

Contact the Colorado Department of Human Services

Contact my county human services department

Contact the communications office

Submit a Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) request

Media contact:

Madlynn Ruble


Phone: 303.866.3411