Cash assistance

Cash assistance banner image

Colorado provides several types of cash assistance benefits. The program for families with children is Colorado Works, also known as TANF. Other types of cash assistance are part of Adult Financial Programs, including Aid to the Needy Disabled, Old Age Pension, Burial Assistance, and Home Care Allowance.

Did you know that if you receive cash assistance benefits, you can have that cash directly deposited into your bank account? Download the direct deposit enrollment form

Colorado Works

In Colorado, the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program is known as Colorado Works. It is a cash assistance program that helps eligible families with very low incomes become self-sufficient by encouraging job preparation, work and family stabilization. Eligible applicants receive monthly cash assistance payments, help with emergency household expenses, and/or services such as counseling, training and employment assistance. The Colorado Works program operates in all 64 counties and is delivered locally through each county's department of human or social services.

Visit the Colorado Works page to learn more.

Adult Financial Programs

Colorado's Adult Financial Programs include the Aid to the Needy Disabled-Colorado Supplement program, the Aid to the Needy Disabled-State Only program, the Burial Assistance Program, the Old Age Pension program, the Home Care Allowance program, and the Personal Needs Allowance program.

Visit the Adult Financial Programs page to learn more.

How to apply

To apply for any of the above programs, go to the PEAK Colorado website or fill out the application of your choice below and return it by mail, fax or in person to your local county human services office. Find contact information for county offices here.

English application

Spanish application

Large-print application