In 2020, the Federal Communications Commission adopted rules to establish 988 as the new, nationwide, 3-digit phone number for Americans in crisis to connect with suicide prevention and mental health crisis counselors. This new rule requires all phone service providers to direct 9-8-8 calls to the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by July 16, 2022. In preparation for the launch of 988 in Colorado, Senate Bill 21-154 established the 988 Crisis Hotline Enterprise in the Department to:
- Impose a 988 surcharge and a prepaid wireless 988 charge;
- Fund the 988 crisis hotline;
- Work with third parties to provide crisis outreach, stabilization, and acute care;
- Authorize and issue revenue bonds payable from the newly created 988 Crisis Hotline Cash Fund; and
- Adopt, amend, or repeal policies to regulate its affairs.
The enterprise is governed by a board of directors appointed by the Governor.
Name Expiration Omar-Fara Norgaisse September 13, 2023 Lynn Notarianni September 13, 2023 Christopher Delorey September 13, 2023 Moe Keller September 13, 2025 Tamara Pogue September 13, 2025 Adrienne Leonard September 13, 2025
- Agendas, documents and minutes